REFLECTIONS: IT’S ALL ABOUT THE ARTS
That’s the theme for the 2017-2018 Reflections Art Program which has been bringing the arts to life for more than 10 million students since 1969. And California State PTA and its members, families and kids are on the forefront of this amazing program, which increases community awareness of the importance of arts in education.
Reflections encourages students of all ages to:
- Unleash creative talents and be inspired
- Express themselves imaginatively in their artwork
- Experience the fun and joy of making art
- Tap into critical-thinking skills to create art inspired by the annual theme
- Receive positive recognition for their original works of art.
PARTICIPATION IS EASY, EXCITING AND EMPOWERING
All students attending PTA schools sponsoring the program are invited to participate and submit original artwork in one of six areas:
[table “11” not found /]
Artworks are submitted first to school-level PTAs, where they are first recognized, celebrated and judged by five grade-level divisions, while a non-judged Special Artists division celebrates student artists with special needs. School PTAs then choose a selection of entries to be judged by local PTA units, which are then sent on to councils and then districts for consideration. The final artworks submitted to California State PTA by districts are then considered for Awards of Excellence or Awards of Merit. Award of Excellence entries then go on to represent California in the final National PTA judging round. Please review general entry rules
State-level Award of Excellence honorees receive:
- The opportunity to showcase their artwork at the California State PTA Convention
- Prizes including an Award of Excellence medal, certificate and a $100 savings bond presented on stage at convention
- An expense-paid trip for the award-winning student and one parent/guardian to convention.
State-level winners were recognized at the 2017 California State PTA Annual Convention. National-level Award of Excellence honorees are recognized at the National PTA Convention, plus their artworks are featured in Reflections’ popular traveling national exhibit. See the winners.
IMPORTANT REFLECTIONS DATES
Local due dates vary depending on where you live. Please reach out to your PTA council and district to inquire about your local due dates.
- November 1, 2017 – Theme search entries due. Details coming soon.
- January 15, 2018 – District entry submission spreadsheet due to California State PTA by 5 p.m. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- January 17, 2018 – Physical entries due to California State PTA from PTA Districts by 5 p.m. Mail to: California State PTA, Attn: Reflections, 2327 L Street, Sacramento, CA 95816.
WE NEED THEMES FOR 2019-2020
But the art can’t start without an annual theme, and we need your help: Children and youth can submit a national theme to serve as the inspiration for Reflections artists and their original works. Students submitting the winning theme receive $100 and recognition at the National PTA Convention.
GRANTS FOR THE ARTS AVAILABLE
Building on the decades-long arts legacy of past Colorado State PTA President Mary Lou Anderson, who established the Reflections Art Program, National PTA awards grants of up to $1,000 so local PTAs can take arts education to the next level – especially for at-risk kids. Find out how your PTA can qualify.
So let the Reflections Art Program – and the arts — be a part of your kids’ lives! For more information on participating or to get Reflections and other arts programs started or funded at your school, contact your local PTA and get connected with California PTA’s SMARTS – Parents for the Arts Network.
We hope everyone had a wonderful first day of school.
We’ve added the AERIES parent portal link to the menu so it’ll be easier to find in the future. There will also be a change to the website in the coming weeks where we will also be giving access to the PTA forms (yearbook pre-order, volunteer sign up, and so on).
If you have not already done so, sign-up for REMIND to get text messages from the school! Simply text @dc701 to 81010
You can also receive remind messages via email. Send an email to email@example.com No subject is required.
Sync your Calendars with Schroeder Elementary School
You can add the Schroeder Elementary School to your own calendars by using the following links, depending on your device/system.
iCal, Outlook 2007+: webcal://schroeder.wsdk8.us/apps/events/ical/?id=0
Google Calendar: http://goo.gl/k8t4q5
Download .ICS: http://schroeder.wsdk8.us/apps/events/ical/?id=0
- What: School Starts!
- When: 8/31/2017
Schools begins at 8:15AM. Come early to avoid traffic! Supervision starts at 7:45AM. Photo Opportunity Area will be available for those 1st Day pics!
- Kinder – 2:15 (Students will be brought to front gates)
- 1st-3rd – 2:35 (Students will be brought to front gates)
- 4th-6th – 2:45 (Gates will open at 2:45)
Copy to Google Calendar • Download iCal Event
Wondering how many binders, notebooks or folders your child will need? No need to worry as we now have School Supply Lists!!! Please see all grades listed below!
Kindergarten Supply List
1st grade Supply List
2nd grade Supply List
3rd Grade Supply List
4th grade Supply List
5th Grade Supply List
6th grade Supply List
Field Day – Tuesday, June 13
- Students will participate in fun games on the field.
- Please apply sunscreen in the AM and your child can bring a hat and water bottle (please label both)
- A Splash of Color – Student Council Dress Up Day – here is the flier: Dress Up Day Flier
- A BBQ hot dog lunch will be served to those students purchasing lunch
AR Party – Thursday, June 15
This year the students voted to have a Pajama Day and DJ Glow Party for meeting their AR Reading Goals! Your child will be notified by their teacher if they met their goal. All Kindergarten students will attend the DJ Glow party and can wear pajamas. School appropriate shoes need to be worn.
Thank you to those parents who have created an AERIES account! In order for students to begin school in the fall all parents need to create an AERIES on-line account.
- If you have a child at one of WSD’s middle schools you already have an account. You just need to add your children at Schroeder to your account.
- If you haven’t created an account, attached are the steps. You should have received this letter AERIES Account Letter with each child’s ID # (lunch number) and Verification Code. If you don’t have the verification code, please contact the office for the number.
- You do not need to print out anything at this time. In August you will receive more information about updating your child’s registration and to print out an emergency card to bring to school.
Looking for a fun Summer Camp for your students? Our ESP program has an AWESOME Summer program beginning Thursday, June 22 through August 30! Field Trips, activities, fun and MORE!
Here are the fliers: ESP Flier ESP Flier #2
We have a NEW Facebook Page! Like us at Schroeder Mustangshttps://www.facebook.com/Schroeder-Mustangs-1405254736197901/
Remind – Want to receive quick and easy reminder texts about school events? Sign up for Remind! Simply text: @dc701 to 81010.
Kindergarten Registration is happening now! If you have a child that will be 5 on or before Dec. 2, 2017 come by the office to get the registration information! Please let your neighbors know also!
Important Dates to Calendar:
June 13 – Field Day
June 14 – Festival of the Arts (6th Grade)
Game Day (5th Grade)
June 15 – AR Party and Pajama Day
June 16 – 6th Grade Promotion – 8AM
5th Grade Promotion (for those students going to Stacey) – 10AM
June 19-20 – Early Dismissal – 12:50PM
June 21 – Last Day of school! – 11:45 dismissal
Campout – Our campout is almost here! The application and $5 is due by Friday, May 5th if you want to attend. We need all parents to help out! Please contact John Berner, Campout Chairman, to see how you can help:
firstname.lastname@example.org or Schroederdads@gmail.com.
Here is the application: 2017_SchroederES_Camput_Application