That’s the theme for the 2017-2018 Reflections Art Program which has been bringing the arts to life for more than 10 million students since 1969. And California State PTA and its members, families and kids are on the forefront of this amazing program, which increases community awareness of the importance of arts in education.
Reflections encourages students of all ages to:
- Unleash creative talents and be inspired
- Express themselves imaginatively in their artwork
- Experience the fun and joy of making art
- Tap into critical-thinking skills to create art inspired by the annual theme
- Receive positive recognition for their original works of art.
Reflections is a nation-wide arts appreciation and recognition program for students sponsored by National PTA. The Reflections Program is structured for PTAs to recognize students at the local, council, district, state, and national levels. Entries are first judged at the local level, where selected works, are chosen to represent the PTA at each subsequent level-council, district, or state-depending on each state PTA’s structure. Once entries reach the state level, the state PTA may select entries to submit to the National PTA. Awards of Excellence and Awards of Merit are recognized at the annual National PTA Convention and are displayed as a part of the program’s traveling exhibit.
PARTICIPATION IS EASY, EXCITING AND EMPOWERING
All students attending PTA schools sponsoring the program are invited to participate and submit original artwork in one of six areas:
State-level Award of Excellence honorees receive:
- The opportunity to showcase their artwork at the California State PTA Convention
- Prizes including an Award of Excellence medal, certificate and a $100 savings bond presented on stage at convention
- An expense-paid trip for the award-winning student and one parent/guardian to convention.
State-level winners were recognized at the 2017 California State PTA Annual Convention. National-level Award of Excellence honorees are recognized at the National PTA Convention, plus their artworks are featured in Reflections’ popular traveling national exhibit. See the winners.
IMPORTANT REFLECTIONS DATES
Local due dates vary depending on where you live. Please reach out to your PTA council and district to inquire about your local due dates.
- November 1, 2017 – Theme search entries due. Details coming soon.
- January 15, 2018 – District entry submission spreadsheet due to California State PTA by 5 p.m. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- January 17, 2018 – Physical entries due to California State PTA from PTA Districts by 5 p.m. Mail to: California State PTA, Attn: Reflections, 2327 L Street, Sacramento, CA 95816.
WE NEED THEMES FOR 2019-2020
But the art can’t start without an annual theme, and we need your help: Children and youth can submit a national theme to serve as the inspiration for Reflections artists and their original works. Students submitting the winning theme receive $100 and recognition at the National PTA Convention.
GRANTS FOR THE ARTS AVAILABLE
Building on the decades-long arts legacy of past Colorado State PTA President Mary Lou Anderson, who established the Reflections Art Program, National PTA awards grants of up to $1,000 so local PTAs can take arts education to the next level – especially for at-risk kids. Find out how your PTA can qualify.
So let the Reflections Art Program – and the arts — be a part of your kids’ lives! For more information on participating or to get Reflections and other arts programs started or funded at your school, contact your local PTA and get connected with California PTA’s SMARTS – Parents for the Arts Network.